FCMA Celebrates Manufacturing Month
October is National Manufacturing Month! FCMA is celebrating with activities throughout the entire month, starting with plant tours on October 2nd and ending with a job fair on October 30th.
- Tours of Area Manufacturing Plants - Through the cooperation of several FCMA manufacturing members, plant tours have been set up for both high school teachers and high school students to introduce them to new opportunities in manufacturing jobs. Thank you to participating FCMA members: Anheuser-Busch, BAE Systems, Carlisle IT, Gerdau, Johnson Controls, Rayonier AM, Rulon International, S&P USA, Safariland, SAFT America, Vac-Con, Vistakon, and WestRock.
- Excellence in Manufacturing Awards - on October 7 at the Treasury in St. Augustine, FCMA will recognize outstanding companies and/or individuals for their contributions to the overall goal of manufacturing excellence or to meeting specific objectives of FCMA.
- FCMA Summit - Following the Excellence in Manufacturing Awards is the FCMA Summit at the Casa Monica in St. Augustine on October 8-9. The Summit is highlighted by keynote speakers Dr. Douglas Holtz-Eakin, president of the American Action Forum, and motivational speaker Pegine Echevarria, as well as other important breakout topics.
- Manufacturing Month Proclamation - In recognition of Manufacturing Month and the Summit being held in St. Augustine, the St. Johns County Commission is proclaiming Manufacturing Month in the county.
- Job Fair on Oct. 30 - FCMA, FSCJ and CareerSource are coordinating a Job Fair to provide an opportunity for high school students and college students to see what type of manufacturing jobs are available on the First Coast.
Contact: Josh Tankersley, General Manager
Phone: (904) 472-0768
6525 Greenland Road, Jacksonville, FL 32258
… specification, manufacture and application of corrosion, erosion and maintenance painting solutions for tanks, pipes, pumps, valves, structural steel and concrete.
Fab Tech Supply
Contact: Alan Ennis, CEO
Phone: (904) 367-0095
11315 Distribution Ave E, Jacksonville, FL 32256
… manufacturer of electrical enclosure hardware and other metal fabrication.
Sponsor: Steve Jenkins, ICON Industrial
Florida Gateway College
Contact: John Piersol, Executive Director
Phone: (386) 754-4225
149 SE College Place, Lake City, FL 32015
… Associate in Science degree programs in Engineering Technology-Advanced Manufacturing and in Logistics & Supply Chain Management.
Contact: John Francka, Regional Manager
Phone: (417) 988-4904
8150 State Hwy 14 E, Sparta, MO 65753
… finds custom, cost-saving solutions, whether delivering your equipment or building it on location, from concept to completion.
Contact: Helen Angel, Sales Associate
Phone: (904) 614-3521
5230 Baymeadows Road, Jacksonville, FL 32217
… has implemented smart staffing solutions for companies of all sizes, across the United States for over 25 years.
Contact: Sandy Griggs, Commercial Territory Manager
Phone: (904) 219-4693
2940 Strickland St, Jacksonville, FL 32254
… provides residential & commercial solid waste & recycling services.
WJW Associates, LTD
Contact: Kyle Fresh, President
Phone: (904) 781-5600
6952 12th S W, Jacksonville, FL 32220
… a transportation and logistics company.
|The Excellence in Manufacturing Awards is on October 7, at The Treasury Building and the FCMA Summit on October 8 and 9, at the Casa Monica Hotel in St. Augustine. Click here for more information about the events. View the agenda here.|
FCMA is partnering with the JBJ for an in paper special report out on October 30 featuring the Excellence in Manufacturing Awards and other activities in Manufacturing Month. If you are interested in advertising, contact Diane Bond.
The FCMA Summit is SOLD OUT! But you can still attend the Excellence in Manufacturing Awards. Please call the FCMA office at (904) 296-9664 or e-mail Amanda if you would like to attend.
New Member Orientation
FCMA’s New Member Orientation is held at least once every month and it is not limited to just the New Members. FCMA offers this orientation to your employees who you want to be active in FCMA.
Conflict Management Workshop
SAVE THE DATE - The November Workshop will be on Wednesday, November 18, 7:30-9:30AM at the FCMA office on the topic of Conflict Management. Stay tuned for more details. Contact Sherri for more information or to RSVP.
Manufacturing Day 2015
|Manufacturing Day is October 2 and its mission to familiarize non-manufacturing audiences with contemporary manufacturing, particularly students, by giving manufacturers an occasion to open their doors to the public. So we need you to offer a tour of your facility to students during the month of October (Manufacturing Month). Contact Sherri for more information.|
We are doing another Manufacturing Job Fair on October 30, 9:00AM-12:00PM at the FSCJ Advanced Technology Center. This is a great way to end Manufacturing Month! Please let Sherri know if your company is interested in securing a booth. Further details to follow. Click here to view the flyer.
|SAVE THE DATE - Our Annual Holiday Social is on Thursday, December 10, 6-8PM. Location is TBA. Tickets will go on sale on October 26.|
November 16 General Meeting
There is no General Meeting in October. We hope you are joining us at the FCMA Summit and/or the Excellence in Manufacturing Awards. Our next General Meeting will be held on Monday, November 16, from 4:00-6:00 PM. Location is TBA. Stay tuned for details!
General Meeting Locations
Ever wondered how your company could host a FCMA General Meeting?
- Manufacturers host the site
- Partners can sponsor the refreshments (cost average of $350)
Attendance is usually about 100 to 125 people, so we need an area for them to assemble, but we only need seating for about 75 as long as there is room to stand (a lot of people don’t sit down).
Parking: for up to 135 cars. Sometimes you can invite your surrounding neighbors and ask if they could provide overflow parking.
The meetings begin at 4:00 with registration, refreshments with networking allowed, and proceed as follows:
4:30 – FCMA Meeting
4:50 – Speaker or special topic
5:10 – Host presentation
5:25 – Host facility tour or demonstration
Contact Maria for more information.
|Thank you Safariland for hosting our September General Meeting! Safariland is a manufacturer of safety and protection products for law enforcement and military worldwide.|
Thank you to our September refreshment sponsor Kilwins!
Click here to view more photos from the meeting.
Patty Otterson and Katharyn Smith with Otterson Allison Wealth Management Group of Raymond James delivered an informative workshop on Retirement information, everything from Social Security, Medicare coverage, and how to properly invest for retirement and when! If you would like to hear more on this presentation please contact Patty or Katharyn. Very nice job ladies, thank you for sharing with our group.
Councilman Reggie Gaffney (District 7) was last month’s guest. He is serving on Finance Committee and notes that although majority of council is new, the group seems to be unified. He talked about the importance of work being done on the CRA—the goal of which is to recruit businesses to the area to improve employment opportunities. Special thanks to our host and lunch sponsor – John Vick of AlliedBarton Security.
|Dr. Radha Pyati, Chair and Professor of the UNF Chemistry Department gave the 2015 River Report (State of the Lower St. Johns River Basin) at our September meeting. She shared updates on different indicators (aquatic life, water quality, fisheries, contaminants). She is also looking for reviewers for next year’s report—and industry perspective is needed. Links to her presentation and the complete report are posted on the EHS page of the FCMA website. This month’s meeting will feature FDEP presenter Tim Dohaney on the new AST rule.|
Water Conservation Survey: In order to better share our members’ stories of water consumption reuse and conservation, note that we will be conducting a survey within the next few weeks. Please make sure to respond so that we can highlight our water resources stewardship!
|The Class of 2015 celebrated with a graduation dinner at the River Club on Wednesday, September 23, and reminisced about the year. They will continue into 2016 with participants selecting a class to plan for next year. If you are interested in enrolling an employee for the Class of 2016, please make sure to sign up early as the 25 spaces fill up quickly.|
Congratulations to this year’s participants!
- City of Jacksonville: Helen Carey and Katrina Hill
- St. Johns River Water Management District: Kevin Brown, Victor Castro, Deirdre Irwin
- Florida Dept. of Environmental Protection: Yasmin Enriquez, Jessica Davis, Victoria Ford, Heather Webber
- FCMA Members: CF Machine & Tool, Tracy Baird; Carlisle IT, Chris Khol and Holly Smith; CSX, Danielle Anders and Bart Edgar; Georgia-Pacific, Keith Francis; Geosyntec, Ramil Mijares; Golder Associates, Kari Reno; JEA, Jaclyn Taricska; Medtronic - Jason Sprouse, Chetra Thiounn, Walter Torres; Milton J. Wood, Chris Moore; Swisher, Clifton Butler
Be sure to visualize your booth and ask yourself: Is it appealing and inviting? Is it attractive and colorful? Would I want to stop at my booth if I was attending the tradeshow? If your answer is “sort of” or no, don’t worry because there are really only 2 main elements in any booth:
- Displays are the most common vehicle to showcase your products/services. Regardless of whether you choose a stand alone display, tabletop version, pop up banner or even feather flags to tell your story be sure that you are MAXIMIZING the impact by using bright colors, full color graphics and/or photos. A picture really is worth a thousand words.
- A table tends to be standard part of most booths so be sure you are taking advantage of that advertising space. Yes, a navy cloth with a white logo is easy but it’s also pretty boring. Consider a full color tablecloth that could include any of the following:
- Product photo(s)—single or an entire product line
- Services you offer including what their benefits are
- Products photographed during the manufacturing process
- Action photo of goods or services being provided—installation, etc.
- Photo of plant facilities and/or map of plant locations
- Mission statement or tagline in addition to your logo
2015 Wage & Benefit Survey
|Hot off the press! Contact the FCMA office to order your copy for $75. In addition to the participating members, we wish to express our appreciation to the following companies who helped underwrite the cost with their sponsorship: Foley & Lardner LLP, Holland & Knight, JAX USA Partnership, Kelly Services, Randstad, Smith Gambrell & Russell, and TRC Staffing. Special thanks to Raintree Graphics for working within our budget!|
TMDL Water Quality Restoration Grant Opportunity
Application Deadline is November 2, 2015, (5:00 pm EST) for electronic or hard copy version to be submitted to the Florida Department of Environmental Protection’s Nonpoint Source Management Program for inclusion in the November 2015 review. Click here for more information.
Florida Trade Grant
|Did you know… Through the Florida TRADE Grant prospective manufacturing employees are receiving industry certifications at FSCJ, this is in efforts to fill the gap of skilled workers, we encourage you all to consider hiring from the pool of candidates graduating from the FL Trade Program. If you are a Manufacturer we would also like to inspire you to add preferential hiring statements on your job applications. The intent is to get Manufacturers to use the words “XXX Certification Preferred” in the hiring documents/applications.|
Lastly, Please share any and all internship opportunities at your facility. We would like to track and measure the openings your company is offering. Please contact Sherri in the FCMA office for further detailed information. Thank you for your continued efforts in all that you do with FCMA.
Did you know…? FCMA has a Job Board available on our website with job openings at FCMA member companies and resumes of candidates looking for jobs in manufacturing. Check it out here.
Advanced Disposal… donated 17 roll-off containers to World Changers of Nassau County for use in home repair and renovations for senior citizens who are clients of the Nassau County Council on Aging. Also, Advanced hired Jeffrey Everett as vice president and assistant general counsel.
AlliedBarton Security Services… has launched National Security Officer Appreciation Week to recognize the critical role that security officers play in businesses across the country. Click here to read more.
Anheuser-Busch… is expanding its Metal Container Corp. facility, resulting in a creation of 75 new jobs with an average annual salary of $75,000. Click here to read more.
Carlisle IT… hosted Governor Rick Scott at their facility in September. Governor Scott the highlighted job growth at Carlisle. The company has created almost 200 new jobs since 2011. Click here to read more.
Dixon Hughes Goodman… hired Jesse Chandler as an audit associate and Candace White and Liz Ohrablo as tax associates.
Florida State College at Jacksonville… has been awarded a $5 million grant from the U.S. Department of Labor American Apprenticeship program. Click here for more information. Congratulations!
Florida Power & Light… plans to reduce customer rates again in 2016. They expect the typical residential customer to save $2.50 a month on average. At the same time, typical business customer bills are expected to decrease by roughly 2 to 6 percent, depending on rate class and type of service. After the reduction, FPL electric rates will be 10% lower than they were 10 years ago!
Pinova Holdings (Renessenz)… announced the pending acquisition of Pinova Holdings to Symrise AG. The anticipated acquisition date will be in early 2016, and they anticipate business as usual with customers, partners and community relationships. Regular updates on the acquisition progress will be forthcoming.
Safariland… JAX Facility has reached an incredible milestone by achieving 2 million man hours and 1,000 days worked without a recordable injury! Congratulations!
Smith Hulsey & Busey… hired Amelia Henderson and Joseph Rogan as attorneys.
UF Health… is hosting a public forum on What Everyone Should Know About Breast Health on October 15. Click here for more information.
JBJ… Congratulations to members who were recently recognized as Jacksonville Business Journal’s 2015 Ultimate CEO: Large Company – Steven Bacalis, Tom Nehl Truck Company and Russ Armistead, UF Health Jacksonville; Medium Company – Barry Dixon, BeLit, Inc (member True House).
Do you have something exciting going on at your company? Let Amanda know.